Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Birthday!

Another year older and none the wiser. Birthdays are different after a certain age. I mean I'm really glad I'm still having them, don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for every day I have on this earth and in full control of my faculties. I mean no one ever says, " I'm 59 and a half." Remember how important those halves were when we were 10 and under?
My best friend and I have the same birthday, August 28th. Not the same year, she is three years older. Another thing that was way more important in our youth. She turned 16 before I did and could drive, she turned 21 before I did and could drink (not all it's cracked up to be, but at 21 . . . .), she graduated before I did and could "start her life as an adult three years before me'.
Now I feel kind of lucky to be three years younger. There are some aspects of aging that are not so much fun and she got to experience them three years before I did. I have always be glad she did it first so she could warn me about life's perils.
Sadly her birthday was not as happy as mine was. She did spend it with a friend eating at Subway. I have always said, "It's not the food it's the company." At least she was not alone. She has three children. Long story for another time.
My lovely daughter, Anne-Elissa, took me out to a turkey dinner at Huber's. If you have not been I highly recommend it. The food was delicious and we even had room for desert, she had pumpkin pie and it was one of the best I have ever had. I had my favorite, creme brulee with a candle in it. I do not like people to sing to me and I hate your funny 'birthday hats'. This was so understated, I loved it.
Then on to Mama Mia! It was so much fun. I had no idea I loved Abba so much. I smiled so much my face hurt. I was on my iPhone facebook and noticed a post from one of Anne-Elissa's friends from her Fircrest days, Holly, she and her husband and four year old daughter, Addison, were at the performance also. We saw them during intermission, they were a few rows behind us. I got a big birthday kiss and hug from Addy.
After the show we all met outside the Keller and took photos in front of the poster. Holly, Rick and Addy looked great in theirs ~ I looked pregnant so decided not to post mine. After we parted ways and Holly and family walked down past Keller to their car as they did a door opened and the cast walked out onto the sidewalk. Addy loves, loves Mama Mia so she was thrilled to have a private audience with them and they were so nice, posing for photos and giving 'high fives'.
I am so lucky to have a daughter who makes my birthday so special. Last year it was The Summer Love Tour with Garrison Keillor at the zoo. She make the best memories.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a special day, Julia! And I'm thrilled you have this amazing relationship with your amazing daughter. Here's hoping your year continues in this joyous place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have sworn that I left a message after reading this! But, when I tried to leave a comment on the most recent one, I couldn't open "comments". Something fishy is going on, as you said you can't comment on my blog, either.

    Anyway, I don't care how old I get, I love celebrating my birthday! It's just fun! And a good excuse to eat chocolate cake!

    Glad you had a good one! And, I hope you are set up on that fun new toy you got!!
    Love, Sandi

    ReplyDelete