Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Retirement and How it Happened~ Part Two: Anderson Henry Carter

I have to be careful here as I have very competitive children, well I have two very competitive children. That's two out of four.

The truth of the matter is the reason for my retirement was Anderson, Anne-Elissa's son. On June 25th 2008 my son, Jonathan and his lovely wife Ronna, gave me after 11 years my fourth grandchild, Faith Elizabeth. ( side note: my two daughters are 11 years apart. A post for another day)

Since it was summer and I was not at school I could, when Ronna had to return to work after one month, watch Faith. I loved those magical weeks at the end of July and all of August. I would watch Faith and then when I left for the hotel in the afternoon Al would take over until Ronna got home.

When September rolled around and I had to return to school Al stepped up to the plate and watched Faith. Forming a bond that will not ever be broken. We also had a three of the older grandchildren with us. ( Another post for later :-)

Fast forward to April 8th, 2009, nine months after Faith's birth. Enter, and not easily, Anderson Henry Carter, Anne-Elissa and Christopher's son. Now his due date was March 29 and both grandmother's are in education, Nancy teaches special Ed in Bremerton (and by the way is a saint). We had it all planned out the baby (we did not know the sex because Anne-Elissa said, "There are so few suprizes in life." would be born at the beginning of Spring Break and we would have a whole week before school started. Best laid plans . . . . . He came the week we went back to school. Damn.

June came and I was out of school and Anne-Elissa was on maternity leave. We had a ball, shopping, watching TV, playing with Anderson ~ then came August and leave was over. I kept him until I had to head back to school.

Anne-Elissa had a friend's mother to watch him the three days a week she needed. I picked him up every Wednesday after my staff meeting at school.

I couldn't wait for summer to come in 2010. I had Anderson, no more day care. Al would still watch him when I left for the hotel and let me tell you some days I couldn't wait for some adults in my life.

On August 28th, 2010 I turned 62. No big deal. A birthday is a birthday. I didn't think much about it. I was going to work both jobs until I was 65.

Late in August Anne-Elissa said, "Do you want to check out this day care with me? We can go after scheduled diaper changing and snack time." Ahhh, NO!

I was 62 and could take early Social Security, after all I had paid into it for the last 30+ years. I had a good retirement plan with the school district (plan 1) and I was eligible for retirement.

The decision was made and I retired from education at the end of August.

The hotel was another story. I assumed that Al would be willing to watch Anderson Wednesday, Thursday and Friday when I left. I had to take him to Courtney (Anne-Elissa's BFF since Kindergarten) on Tuesday because Al worked.

It was getting harder and harder to get ready and take a sleepy baby to the sitters on Tuesday. We all did it until November when Al said, " You signed up for this, not me" How right he was. What could I argue with. I had never really asked him, but just assumed.

And so I turned in my resignation to the GM of the hotel and December 3rd was my last day.

It has been a year. A year I would not have changed for anything. I am not standing by the side of the road with a sign saying "Will Teach for Food" Which I was, frankly afraid of. All the bills are paid and we can go out to eat and take a vacation. Anne-Elissa and Chris do pay most of my medical insurance but then I did change my life to care for their child I don't feel too guilty. Every day they tell me how thankful they are and the bonuses are great!

So that's it the story of one grandmother's early retirement.

And just for the record ~ I love every one of my grandchildren the same. They are six very different amazing people. Each worth a blog of there own. That being said, some day I may let my children know about this blog :-)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the rest of the story! I love how right this is for you. It is obvious all the way through, this is the right thing for you to be doing at this time. Now that I know you're a full time grandma, I can understand how hard it must be to grab a few moments to write! I'm enjoying your posts on facebook, too. I rarely comment there, but I read them!

    Enjoy your days, as you already are. I hope I'll be available for my girls when the time comes . . . they need to finish school and get married first though, so I've got some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time goes by so fast it will happen before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Julie! So much heart here. So much of you. I can hardly wait for the day your kids get to read these stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete